Heaven & Hell Ranking / Did Ava Max succeed ?

 On September 18, 2020 Ava Max released her highly anticipated debut studio record - Heaven & Hell.

It contains some of her previous singles, such as: Torn, Sweet but Psycho, So Am I and Salt.

Today, I`ll share my thoughts about this masterpiece, let`s begin!



Heaven &  Hell Ranking ( from worst to best)

15. Born to the night - this could be a hit (in 2010)

Born to the night is so generic,  with weak vocals and dated production. It have a generic message and the fact that it have over 4 minutes disturb me. It kinda reminds me of a christian song or something.

Rating: 6.5/10



14. Take you to hell - Hell

This could be a hit... in 2012. It gives me an action movie energy or something like.

 I like the production from the chorus, from the second pre-chorus and the outro. 

The message  is ”If you`ll be bad with me, I`ll bad with you„

Is a little bit moodier than the tracks from Heaven.

Rating: 8/10



13. Tattoo - Generic message

I don`t think Ava really wrote this song. It have such a weak lyricism. And a generic 2010 production. I can`t say the song is bad. The production is good even if it is generic ( complicated right?)

Rating: 7.5/10


12. Belladonna - Deep

No, it don`t have  a deep message or something. But it have the darkest production from the entire album. I really enjoy this production . However the lyrics are... ok ?

Rating: 7.8/10



11. Rumors - Bass

This song have such a powerful bass. The production is very good to be honest. Basically you hear the bass from the chorus only. The lyrics... dosen`t matter. : )

Rating: 8/10

10. Sweet but psycho - I forgot that song existed

This is literally the Ava`s breakthrough. I really enjoyed this song, back in march 2019.

Now it is good, not the best but good. Is designed to be a radio hit.

Also the bridge hits harder now.

Rating: 8/10



9. Call me tonight - Good

This is a good song overall. It reminds me of the early 2010s pop music. It have an amazing production. The vocals are good. I love the pre-chorus so much. However the message is from 2010 too and you don`t feel any emotion listening this song. Designed to be a radio hit.

Rating: 8/10

8.  OMG What`s Happening - Idk what`s happening.

Again, a radio hit. I can`t say is bad but isn`t the best to be honest. The message is very generic.Lyrics are generic too but the song is saved by the good production. Here I don`t have any questions. Love the vocals too.



Rating: 8/10

7. So Am I - Message

I love the message of this song. It`s about loving yourself  and accepting that you`re different. ”do  you ever felt like an outcast, you don`t have to fit into the format„

The vocals are really beautiful and it have a relative calm production. I cried when I listened it from the first time.

Rating 8.5/10



6. Naked - See me for real

This song is very energetic even if it`s relatively calm. Love the production and the lyrics. Some people said that the lyrics are weak, I disagree with that, it kinda reminds me of Katy Perry. It also have an 80`s vibe.

Rating: 9/10



5.     Who`s laughing now - I`m stronger.

The production is a Ava Max classic and the lyrics are .... ok. I like the message / lyrics. It have some pop cliches but is good at all. I love it to be honest. This is  Gaga inspired I guess.

Rating:9/10



4. H.E.A.V.E.N - Pure satisfaction 

This have a unique production that`s so calming.  This is pure satisfaction. I can`t describe the feeling, you should listen it to understand.  Despite having 1:46 , and only a verse it have that nasty/calming production that take you to the heaven literally.



Rating: 9.5/10

The Holy Trinity

3. Salt - I cry everytime when  I listen to it

This have a beautiful message. Is about crying too many tears, the tears are salt now.

The production is good too but the lyrics are captivating you the most.

Rating: 10/10



2. Kings & Queens - An Anthem

This song is amazing. Is about female empowerment and things like . It was produced by RedOne. It is a present prom heaven. 

Rating : 10/10



1. Torn - Purgatory

This is the best Ava Max song ever!

It is different. The production is different, isn`t generic, the message and lyrics are unique too.

It is the transition between Heaven and Hell

Rating: 10/10






Album Philosophy 

Heaven and Hell is a conceptual album divided in 2 sides : Heaven - Ava said that the tracks from this side make her stronger and powerful but Hell on the other hand - makes her feel vulnerable. I really love the concept .  And yeas, the songs from hell are moodier but the songs from Heaven are lighter. I like Heaven more than Hell to be honest. Also this album have a purgatory track - Torn. On the album it is placed on Heaven side.

I like the production on this album. Each track have an up-beat sound. If you think at cold, the production is generic in some ways but idk about you ,I love it.

The lyricism on the other hand is ... nah. Some tracks (Salt,Torn...) have really beautiful lyrics but others are way too weak(tattoo). That gives to this album lack of personality.



Overall Heaven and Hell is a good album with a nice production and concept, the result of the concept is not really it but it is what it is. 

Album rating: 8.4/10 (very good)





  

Comments