Ia Smile by Katy Perry really a flop? Let`s find out together (Ranking)

 Katy  Perry droped her new album „Smile” on August 28, 2020. 

The album includes  the droplets Never Really Over (released in May 2019),  Harleys in Hawaii (released October 2019) and the singles Daisies (lead single , released May 2020) and Smile(title track released July 2020).

The singles of  Smile didn`t entered in US top 10 or top 20 (excepting Never Really Over).

The album is the most pre-ordered album by a female artist in 2020.

But today we will not talk about comercial succes of Smile but I`ll share my thoughts about that album and I wanna make a ranking. Are you ready ?... Lest`s begin!





12. Resilient - one of the weakest Katy Perry`s song - Flop

I have a feeling that this song was made in 2 hours or something like that. The production is really bad and sounds really dated (like from 2010 or something ). And the vocals on the chorus don`t sound too good. Despite that it have a beautiful message but a bad lyricism. 5/10

11.  Not the end of the world - Mixed feelings

When I first listened this song I thought it is a album highlight but it lose its power after 2 listens. It also have some bad lyricism  . Despite that that song have a good/experimental production. Katy experimented with trap in that song and is ok overall. But how I said is boring after 2 listens. 7/10

10. Only Love - Emotional but boring

I think that song sounds like it`s from teenage dream or even PRISM because of the production. 

I like the message of the song but it feels dated (like from 2015 or something). Overall is nothing too entertaining here excepting the message - it`s beautiful. 8/10



9. Champagne Problems - Overall Good

This  song have  a really good lyricism and a good production along the tearful message of the song. This song is very actual to our problems I guess almost everybody had some champagne problems in this period. But isn`t a highlight on the album for me and I can say she have better in this . 8.5/10



8.Smile (the title track) - the anthem of happiness

That song have a lot of Positive energy and it`s an album highlight . This song matches with some of my past personal experiences and it`s about how you find the light in the darkness. 8.5/10



7. Never Really Over - was a Bop

Never really over was one of the biggest Katy hit in years . It had beautiful visuals and an amazing chorus with an emotional message . In this song Katy`s vocals are highlighted and that`s so cool. However this song lose it`s power because have over a year since it`s release but I still enjoy it (but not as much as 1 year ago). 9/10



6. Tucked - A old school vibe

This song sounds like it`s from Teenage Dream or something. I like it so much because of it`s production (which sounds dated but you don`t get bored of it). Is a highlight on the album  because of it`s production. However it don`t have the best lyricism. 9/10



5. Cry about it later - The album highlight 

This song is about lying yourself I guess , and is about feeling good even you don`t feel good (is a little bit complicated). It have a good lyricism and a powerful production. I love it ! 9.5/10



4. Harleys in Hawaii - The song that grew on me the most

I felt a little bit fooled when I saw this on the tracklist but after some listens it is one of the bests. It don`t fit very good with the rest of the album but have give me a chill vibe and  some good energy. 9.7/10



3. Daisies -  One of the bests

This song have such a beautiful message . Is about realizing your dreams even if nobody believe in you. Is about self loving and  is a powerful anthem.  10/10



2. Teary eyes - The fan favorite

This reminds me of Legendary Lovers from PRISM. It have a old school production with disco influences . It is a type of song that fits very good in Witness or PRISM. Also  it reminds me of  Lady Gaga`s dance in the dark(the message)  and Alice (the production). Plus is a fan favorite. 10/10



1. What makes a woman - The BEST

This is a Woman empowering anthem or something and have a chill production. To be honest I don`t know why it is my favorite. Probably is because of the message. 10/10




Conclusion : This album  have some emotional songs and dated productions. I guess every song from Smile fits perfectly on Witness or PRISM and I can say smile is a step forward from witness.

I think Katy Perry need a new / revolutionary sound if she wants to make history again.

The album concept reminds me of the concept of Chromatica by Lady Gaga. The album is a proces of healing and how she got back that smile. 

What`s your favorite song from Smile? Tell me in the comment section below. Love u!!!!



Comments